Adjunct Professor, Department of Companion Animals
- Bachelor of Science, Bishop’s University, Quebec, Canada
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- Joined the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC) in August 1988
- Coordinator of the SJDAWC since it was established in 1994 (originally as the Animal Welfare Unit)
- Work with Chair in Animal Welfare and Management Committee to develop the SJDAWC
- Oversee day-to-day operation of the SJDAWC
- Course organizer and lecturer for fourth year course Issues in Animal Welfare
- Experience as a clinical anesthetist in the veterinary teaching hospitals of the Ontario Veterinary College and Atlantic Veterinary College
- Experience in small animal veterinary practice
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Animal Welfare Committee: member since 1994; Committee Chair 1999-2001
- Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada: Board member since May 2006
- Eastern Parks Canada Animal Care Task Force: member since July 2005
Areas of particular interest
- Animal abuse; effective veterinary response
- Pain management in small and large animals
- Animal cruelty legislation
- Companion animal welfare issues
Publications and Presentations
- Daoust PY, Crook A, Bollinger T, Campbell K, and Wong J. Animal welfare and the harp seal hunt in Atlantic Canada. Can Vet J 2002 (43):687-6942.
- Crook A. Questions associated with proposed changes to the Criminal Code: The CVMA Animal Welfare Committee Responds. Can Vet J 2001; 41:534-535.
Crook A, Hill B and Dawson S. Canine Inherited Disorders Database
- Crook A and Heider LE. The role of the veterinarian in farm animal welfare: Directions in production and practice. J Am Vet Med Ass 1994; 204(3):388-395.
Crook A . Chatelaine magazine June 1998 – December 2006; bi-monthly veterinary column (“Ask an Expert”) on issues of companion animal well-being.
- Daoust P-Y and Crook A. Animal welfare and the harp seal hunt in Atlantic Canada. SCVMA (Students of the CVMA) symposium, Charlottetown, January 2007.
- Crook A and Boutet P. Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Brief to the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs regarding Bill S-213: An Act to Amend the Criminal Code (Cruelty to Animals). Ottawa, December 2006.
- Crook A. Effective veterinary response to animal abuse. (poster presentation) Quality of life: the heart of the matter. International Symposium, Universities Federation for Animal Welfare/British Veterinary Association Ethics Committee; London, England September 2006.
- Crook A and Foley P. A Trap-Neuter and Release programme in Prince Edward Island, Canada – a humane approach to feral cat management . (poster presentation) Quality of life: the heart of the matter. International Symposium, Universities Federation for Animal Welfare/British Veterinary Association Ethics Committee; London, England September 2006.
- Daoust P-Y and Crook A. Animal welfare and the harp seal hunt in Atlantic Canada. AVC Humane Ethics Club January 2006
- Crook A. The role of the veterinarian. Animal Abuse and Family Violence conference, Kindness Club, Fredericton, NB October 2005.
- Crook A. Recognizing and addressing suspected animal abuse. Animal Abuse and Family Violence: Building a Community Response, Charlottetown, PEI September 2005.
- Crook A. The role of veterinarians in addressing animal abuse – the Canadian approach. Australian Veterinary Association Welfare and Ethics (AVAWE) stream of the AVA Annual General Meeting, Canberra, Australia, May 2004.
- Crook A. Feral cat management in Prince Edward Island, Canada Australian Veterinary Association Welfare and Ethics (AVAWE) stream of the AVA Annual General Meeting, Canberra, Australia, May 2004.
- Crook A. Animal abuse – The role of animal health professionals. OAVT (Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians) Annual Conference, London, February 2002.
- Crook A and Barr M. CVMA Brief in Support of Bill C-15B -Act to Amend the Criminal Code (Cruelty to Animals), to the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights, Ottawa, October 31, 2001.
- Crook A. Cosmetic surgery in North and Latin America. World Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress, Vancouver, August 2001.
- Crook A. Animal abuse: Legislation in North and Latin America. World Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress, Vancouver, August 2001.
- Crook A. Genetic defects in dogs. Current Issues Forum CVMA Annual Convention Calgary, July 1999.
- Crook A. The Use of Isoflurane. Atlantic Provinces Veterinary Conference, Mill River, PEI August 1991.
- Crook A. Anaesthetic Emergencies, New Brunswick Veterinary Medical Association Annual Meeting, St John, September 1990.
- 2009 – Canadian Veterinary Medical Association President’s Award
- 2004 – Frederic A McGrand Award; Canadian Federation of Humane Societies
- 2003 – Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal
- 2002 – Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Humane Award