Chair in Animal Welfare
Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Centre
Department of Health Management
- Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine, Royal Veterinary College, University of London, UK
- Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- PhD, Department of Animal Husbandry, University of Liverpool Veterinary School, UK.
Joined The Atlantic Veterinary College in August 2007
1985-2007 Senior Lecturer in Animal Welfare, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK
BVM&S undergraduate veterinary course
Course organiser and lecturer for the animal husbandry course
MSc Course in Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare
Convener of the Board of Examiners and module organiser and main lecturer for module on farm animal welfare
Experience of large and small animal veterinary practice.
Editor for Animal within section on Behaviour, Health and Welfare
- Transport and pre-slaughter management of farm animals
- Animal welfare assessment
- Sleep and fatigue in sheep
Cockram, M.S. 2007. Sheep Transport. In Livestock Handling and Transport, 3rd Edition Edited by T. Grandin. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon, UK. P184-198.
- Cockram, M.S. 2007. Criteria and potential reasons for maximum journey times for farm animals destined for slaughter. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 106: 234-243.
- Cockram, M. S., Baxter, E. M., Smith, L. A., Bell, S., Howard, C. M., Prescott, R. J. and Mitchell, M. A. 2004. Effect of driver behaviour, driving events and road type on the stability and resting behaviour of sheep in transit. Animal Science 79: 165-176.
- Cockram, M.S. 2004. A review of behavioural and physiological responses of sheep to stressors to identify potential behavioural signs of distress in sheep Animal Welfare 13: 283-291.
- Grigor, P.N., Cockram, M.S., Steele, W.B., Le Sueur, C.J., Forsyth, R.E., Guthrie, J.A., Johnson, A.K., Sandilands, V., Reid, H.W., Sinclair, C. and Brown, H.K. 2001. Effects of space allowance during transport and duration of mid-journey lairage period on the physiological, behavioural and immunological responses of young calves during and after transport. Animal Science 73:341-360.
- Cockram, M.S., Kent, J.E., Jackson, R.E., Goddard, P.J., Doherty, O.M., McGilp, I.M., Fox, A., Studdert-Kennedy, T.C., McConnell, T.I. and O’Riordan, T. 1997. Effect of lairage during 24 h of transport on the behavioural and physiological responses of sheep. Animal Science 65: 391-402.
- Cockram, M.S., Kent, J.E., Goddard, P.J., Waran, N.K., McGilp, I.M., Jackson, R.E., Muwanga, G.M. and Prytherch, S. 1996. Effect of space allowance during transport on the behavioural and physiological responses of lambs during and after transport. Animal Science 62: 461-477.
Further details with links to papers
Livestock driver training DVD
The effects of driver behaviour on the behaviour of livestock in transit
<<< Return to people
<<< Return to main menu